RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:52:26 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2005-03-06 at 21:08 -0900, Greg Wallace wrote:

> I tried that site and that exact path (that's the only one I tired), and
> that didn't work. I had used that server most of the time for my YOU
> processing. Maybe there's some additional software in place on the regular
> link to that site that isn't provided on "discontinued".

I don't know, I don't have that version, son I can't try.

> The only reason I
> would go there anyway, now that it's no longer supported, would be if I had
> to do a recovery from YAST backup.

You can easily create a patch CD. WIth it, you can install from yast, then
tell YOU to use the CD for the update. Most of what has to go there you
already have on your HD.

> I went through that same process for 8.1 to 9.0 and 8.1 to 9.1, same
> results. As a matter of fact, trying to recover 8.2 or 9.0 wouldn't even
> work. YAST recovery ran for about 24 hours before I finally figured out
> nothing was going on. 9.1 was better, in that it actually did recover my
> data, though as I said, the processes still wouldn't work.

I have never liked Yast backup/recovery. It has been getting better every
version, but I don't trust it. I would like to have something as good as
the old, trusty, pcbackup for dos (central point software): 1991 vintage
or even older is far better than what I have tried in Linux.

I prefer to simply do a full copy on compressed CDs or DVDs, manually
because I still don't know how to automate it to my liking.

You could try mindi/mondo, people talk well about it.

> To me, nothing could be more important (and may I say basic) than being able
> to get your system back if you have a corrupted hard drive.

Linux has some serious backup programs, like Amanda. But it is not
designed for home use, but networks - it is included by SuSE:

This is a release of Amanda, the Advanced Maryland Automatic
Network Disk Archiver. Amanda is a backup system designed to
archive many computers on a network to a single large-capacity
tape drive. .

See? It does not mention dvds, for example. Nor "single computer".

Have a look in Yast, Group "Productivity/Archiving/Backup". There are
several programs: partimage, pax, star...

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson