Re: [SLE] Floppy Desktop Lock?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:31:55 +0100
On Sunday 06 March 2005 11:18, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> On a couple of occasions I have seen an icon appear on my KDE desktop
> called a 'Floppy Desktop Lock'.

"Lock"? Does it really say that, or is it just that the icon has a small
picture of a lock in it?

> What is the icon telling me and can it safely be deleted and the icons
> re-arranged?

If it is what I think (the small picture of a lock) then it is telling you
that you have a floppy inserted and mounted, and that it's write protected
(or at least that you don't have permissions to write to it)

You can of course safely delete the icon, since the icon is just a shortcut
and doesn't have a hardware significance, but it should be deleted
automatically when you no longer have a floppy inserted

You can also configure the system to not show hardware icons, in KDE's control
centre. I believe it's in Desktop->Behaviour->Device Icons

< Previous Next >