Re: [SLE] funny du -h thing
  • From: Mike <kenziem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:00:02 -0500
On Monday 07 March 2005 17:35, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Monday 07 March 2005 22:51, Aidin Alihodzic wrote:
> > ok, let's check other one:
> > #du -h whatis
> > 2.0T whatis
> >
> > so... "whatis" messed up my counters :)
>
> wow. How about
>
> du -h --apparent-size whatis
>
> Did you try running an fsck on the file system? Sounds like something very
> weird is going on

I saw something similar on the lost&found. It seems that the space is
preallocated but not actually used. For lost& found it was explained that
having a space preallocated makes it easier to use it when in trouble than
having to find space then.

There was also a mention about directories not reclaiming unused space.

On my machine It said it was 2 gig but it was only a 170 meg drive.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600
Machines to trade http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600/trade.html

< Previous Next >