Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:22:17 -0500
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:37, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Hiya!
> I'm trying to get SuSE 9.2 up and running from a system with an Adaptec
> 2100S SCSI RAID controller, and I want to run the system entirely on the
> SCSI arrays.
>
> No luck. Kernel panic after the first reboot after installation. It comes to
> mounting volumes, then setting up hardware dependencies and wham, there it
> dies.
>
> After some Googling I ran into Mark's guide for 9.1, does this apply to 9.2
> and/or SLES9 as well?
> http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Aug/2476.html
>
> Later,
> Anders.

I looked this over briefly and wonder if he could have booted to the
rescue DVD and run the commands:

# mkdir /mnt/temp
# mount /dev/i2o/hda3 /mnt/temp
# mount /dev/i2o/hda1 /mnt/temp/boot

add the i2o modules to the INITRD_MODULES line in
/mnt/temp/etc/sysconfig/kernel in line

INITRD_MODULES="i2o_core i2o_block" (plus other modules you need)
# chroot /mnt/temp
# mkinitrd

Would seem to be much easier than adding an IDE drive and installing the
OS to do the same thing.

Isn't that the purpose of chroot, to temporarily change you root
filesystem tree to something else?

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*