RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:34:53 -0900
On march 07, 2005 @ 1:34 AM, Darryl Gregorash wrote--
Greg Wallace wrote:
.
>> So, and here I'm drifting a bit, but not too much. When is SuSE
>>going
>>to get the equivalent of a Windows ASR backup? I lost my Windows machine
>>at
>>

>Probably when someone who really wants/needs it, and could actually
>write such a thing, gets around to writing it. This is definitely one
>big area where Linux is way behind the competition, though the argument
>probably will be made that, with mass storage media so cheap now, RAID
>is within reach of everyone. I'll buy that argument the day that all
>mass storage devices are hot-pluggable (without having to pay high-end
>server prices to get it).

.
.
.
SuSE (Linux in general? -- no experience with other releases) definitely
needs to get caught up on this. I assume this would be an extension of YAST
-- another option for the type of backup you want to create under the backup
utility. What really had me confused in the beginning was that the YAST
backup does create something called autoinstall.txt. The "autoinstall" term
made me think this was something similar to the diskette information that
comes out of a Windows ASR backup. However, I posted questions about this
file on this site trying to figure out what the heck it is and never got a
response. I even posted mail to the "autoinstall" site. Same thing -- no
response. Of course, if you don't get complete package backups out of your
YAST backup, then, of course, an autoinstall couldn't really work anyway,
not in the sense of a full system recovery.

Greg W