Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <lmstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:49:37 -0500
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:22 -0500, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:37, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > Hiya!
> > I'm trying to get SuSE 9.2 up and running from a system with an Adaptec
> > 2100S SCSI RAID controller, and I want to run the system entirely on the
> > SCSI arrays.
> >
> > No luck. Kernel panic after the first reboot after installation. It comes to
> > mounting volumes, then setting up hardware dependencies and wham, there it
> > dies.
> >
> > After some Googling I ran into Mark's guide for 9.1, does this apply to 9.2
> > and/or SLES9 as well?
> > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Aug/2476.html
> >
> > Later,
> > Anders.
>
> I looked this over briefly and wonder if he could have booted to the
> rescue DVD and run the commands:
>
> # mkdir /mnt/temp
> # mount /dev/i2o/hda3 /mnt/temp
> # mount /dev/i2o/hda1 /mnt/temp/boot
>
> add the i2o modules to the INITRD_MODULES line in
> /mnt/temp/etc/sysconfig/kernel in line
>
> INITRD_MODULES="i2o_core i2o_block" (plus other modules you need)
> # chroot /mnt/temp
> # mkinitrd
>
> Would seem to be much easier than adding an IDE drive and installing the
> OS to do the same thing.
>
> Isn't that the purpose of chroot, to temporarily change you root
> filesystem tree to something else?

Ken,

You are right of course, and I did post an update to my howto after I
learned about chrooting.

Anders,

The 21xx-series of controllers have a readme that says they do not
support booting under SuSE. But, I have seen posts elsewhere that
indicate updating to the latest firmware and using the Adaptec drivers
corrects this.

Adaptec seem to be increasing their Linux support somewhat. New drivers
were released in December last year and February this year for some
21xx-series cards.

HTH,
Mark