RE: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: "Anders Norrbring" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:01:53 +0100
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:37, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > Hiya!
> > I'm trying to get SuSE 9.2 up and running from a system with an Adaptec
> > 2100S SCSI RAID controller, and I want to run the system entirely on the
> > SCSI arrays.
> >
> > No luck. Kernel panic after the first reboot after installation. It
> comes to
> > mounting volumes, then setting up hardware dependencies and wham, there
> it
> > dies.
> >
> > After some Googling I ran into Mark's guide for 9.1, does this apply to
> 9.2
> > and/or SLES9 as well?
> > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Aug/2476.html
> >
> > Later,
> > Anders.
>
> I looked this over briefly and wonder if he could have booted to the
> rescue DVD and run the commands:
>
> # mkdir /mnt/temp
> # mount /dev/i2o/hda3 /mnt/temp
> # mount /dev/i2o/hda1 /mnt/temp/boot
>
> add the i2o modules to the INITRD_MODULES line in
> /mnt/temp/etc/sysconfig/kernel in line
>
> INITRD_MODULES="i2o_core i2o_block" (plus other modules you need)
> # chroot /mnt/temp
> # mkinitrd
>
> Would seem to be much easier than adding an IDE drive and installing the
> OS to do the same thing.
>
> Isn't that the purpose of chroot, to temporarily change you root
> filesystem tree to something else?

I think that would be possible, but that's not really my question. My
problem is that it seems like dpt_i2o STILL doesn't work properly with the
controller.

During boot, when rc comes to "Checking hardware dependencies" everything
comes to a halt with a Kernel exception.

According to Matt, aacraid should be a replacement for dpt_i2o, but I don't
think so, they're used for two different controller types.

I merely wonder what's happening with the dpt_i2o driver, is there another
version than the one in the Kernel source that works?

Anders.