RE: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: "Anders Norrbring" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:54:31 +0100
> > On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:37, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > > Hiya!
> > > I'm trying to get SuSE 9.2 up and running from a system with an
> Adaptec
> > > 2100S SCSI RAID controller, and I want to run the system entirely on
> the
> > > SCSI arrays.
> > >
> > > No luck. Kernel panic after the first reboot after installation. It
> comes to
> > > mounting volumes, then setting up hardware dependencies and wham,
> there it
> > > dies.
> > >
> > > After some Googling I ran into Mark's guide for 9.1, does this apply
> to 9.2
> > > and/or SLES9 as well?
> > > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Aug/2476.html
> > >
> > > Later,
> > > Anders.
> >
> > I looked this over briefly and wonder if he could have booted to the
> > rescue DVD and run the commands:
> >
> > # mkdir /mnt/temp
> > # mount /dev/i2o/hda3 /mnt/temp
> > # mount /dev/i2o/hda1 /mnt/temp/boot
> >
> > add the i2o modules to the INITRD_MODULES line in
> > /mnt/temp/etc/sysconfig/kernel in line
> >
> > INITRD_MODULES="i2o_core i2o_block" (plus other modules you need)
> > # chroot /mnt/temp
> > # mkinitrd
> >
> > Would seem to be much easier than adding an IDE drive and installing the
> > OS to do the same thing.
> >
> > Isn't that the purpose of chroot, to temporarily change you root
> > filesystem tree to something else?
>
> Ken,
>
> You are right of course, and I did post an update to my howto after I
> learned about chrooting.
>

> Anders,
>
> The 21xx-series of controllers have a readme that says they do not
> support booting under SuSE. But, I have seen posts elsewhere that
> indicate updating to the latest firmware and using the Adaptec drivers
> corrects this.
>
> Adaptec seem to be increasing their Linux support somewhat. New drivers
> were released in December last year and February this year for some
> 21xx-series cards.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Mark,

I did a fresh install of 9.2 on to the 2100S, it went fine up the where rc
initiated the "Hardware scan", just after initiating the network adapters,
there it went belly-up with the Kernel error.
So, booting works, even mounting the file systems, but somewhere along the
line it borkes.

I reinstalled using the i2o_core and i2o_block drivers, the system now runs
fine, but I can't use any of the Adaptec utilities to manage the arrays and
have it send me warning e-mails. For that I'll need the Adaptec drivers.

Do you happen to know where I can find them? I've surfed around on
Adaptec's site but I haven't found anything useful, it seems like the only
release pre-built binaries for systems up to kernel 2.4, and the sources
doesn't seem to be available either.

Anders.