RE: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
  • From: "Anders Norrbring" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:23:26 +0100

> > > Adaptec

> on
> <etc.
> >
> > I reinstalled using the i2o_core and i2o_block drivers, the system now
> runs
> > fine, but I can't use any of the Adaptec utilities to manage the arrays
> and
> > have it send me warning e-mails. For that I'll need the Adaptec drivers.
> >
> > Do you happen to know where I can find them? I've surfed around on
> > Adaptec's site but I haven't found anything useful, it seems like the
> only
> > release pre-built binaries for systems up to kernel 2.4, and the sources
> > doesn't seem to be available either.
> >
> > Anders.
>
> Not more than a couple of weeks back, Phillipp Thomas said this as part of
> the
> thread [SLE] Installing SuSE 9.2 onto Adaptec HostRaid:
>
> >It's unfortunate that I cannot get hardware raid to work,
>
> Complain to Adaptec who don't want to offer an open source driver or at
> least the specs to enable the community to come up with a driver.
>
> Philipp
>
> So it seems maybe Adaptec support is limited by their own policies. Seems
> pity.

Yep.. They offer me to get the 2130SLP or 2230SLP instead. Which of course
would make me swap motherboard as well since those two doesn't work in
32-bit PCI slots. I could fix that, but those controllers cost more than
twice the cost of the motherboard. Geee..

They don't want to release newer drivers for any *nix, but they still update
the Windows 2000, XP and 2003 drivers. Like any serious server owner would
run a Windows server?

Anyway, there must be a solution to this somewhere, it's just the question
of finding it. I can run i2o_core and i2o_block, but then I can't use the
alert system. This really is annoying.

Anders.