RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:36:10 -0500
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 23:34, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On march 07, 2005 @ 1:34 AM, Darryl Gregorash wrote--
> Greg Wallace wrote:
> SuSE (Linux in general? -- no experience with other releases) definitely
> needs to get caught up on this. I assume this would be an extension of YAST
> -- another option for the type of backup you want to create under the backup
> utility. What really had me confused in the beginning was that the YAST
> backup does create something called autoinstall.txt. The "autoinstall" term
> made me think this was something similar to the diskette information that
> comes out of a Windows ASR backup. However, I posted questions about this
> file on this site trying to figure out what the heck it is and never got a
> response. I even posted mail to the "autoinstall" site. Same thing -- no
> response. Of course, if you don't get complete package backups out of your
> YAST backup, then, of course, an autoinstall couldn't really work anyway,
> not in the sense of a full system recovery.
>
> Greg W

Not being familure with ASR is this something included with MS server
software? There are commercial products available that can do a recovery
directly from backup tape/cd/dvd etc.. Check out BackupEdge and
Lonetar. They are not too terribly expensive US$200-300.

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*