Re: [SLE] RedHat to Suse migration
  • From: Carl William Spitzer IV <cwsiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:14:47 -0800
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 10:31, Scorpy wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there any simple way to migrate from RedHat do Suse?
> All users and passwords must remain the same. Problem is with users which
> have been on the system from RH7.3 and have also been migrated with upgrade
> to RH9.

After backing up /home. Install Suse. When you get to the section for
creating users allow Suse to update the user directories to the new
numbering scheme. I did this upgrading from 8.2 to 9.1 the user numbers
went from 500 to 1000 for the first user. Use temporary passwords for
all users and instruct them to immediately change them.

BTW if they have the same antique passwords from the days of RH7.3 its
time to change anyway.

--