Re: [SLE] New SUSE 9.3 does what Windows Longhorn can't
  • From: Ben Higginbottom <b.higginbottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:25:17 +0000 (GMT)
On 08/03/05 11:05 PM, Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well it would appear that even though Win FS won't be out on time as usual,
> SUSE has added that lovely searching feature into SUSE 9.3:
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39190538,00.htm
>
> All I can say is:
>

> BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> Silly Windows users, useful features are for Linux. (Trix rabbit switches
> to Linux and finally gets his damn cereal.)

Err not really, Beagle is similar to the google desktop search tool (indeed its being ported to windows) and although its still a little rough, it is very nice.

WinFS, or ObjectFS as it was originally known is an attempt to add meta data to the filing system as BFS in BeOS did back in the late 90's, but taken a little further, which is only to be expected given the length of time they've spent working on it.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.

Regards,

Ben