Installing Linux on extended partition (logical drive)
  • From: Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:21:54 +0700
Hi all,
For those of you who are interested in installing Linux on extended partition
(or in MS terms we call it logical drive), I've successfully do it on
installing Suse92 on hda10, where there is already MS Windows, and Mandrake.
Here's the brief steps:
1. Install Windows (with 2 partitions in my case)
2. Install Mandrake on its own partition (with 5 partitions in my case, with 1
partition I call /data --> hda10)
3. Install Suse92 on /data. This is the caveat: -- choose LILO (you can use
grub too, but I don't know yet the syntax), -- install LILO on the root
partition of /hda10, -- format hda10 with any filesystem as long as Mandrake
can read it. Suse will reboot once we finish the first installation step.
4. When rebooted, go into Mandrake. Modify /etc/lilo.conf with this:
image=/data/boot/vmlinuz
label="Suse92"
root=/dev/hda10
initrd= /data/boot/initrd
vga=788
read-only

Modify the above lines that suits your environment. Run lilo -v to see if
there's any error. If there isn't, you good to go. Reboot.

You will see in the LILO menu that there's Suse92 entry. Choose it, and....
Voila! You've got Suse92! You dont even bother to create swap partition, Suse
will use the swap from Mandrake.

I've made an artikel about it in http://linux2.arinet.org (Indonesian)
HTH.
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
09:46:07 up 1:28, Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586