Re: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:54:16 +0100
On Thursday 10 March 2005 00:47, Greg Wallace wrote:

> and

> regular
>
> >> The actual path you would need to use is
> >
> >Are you sure? I looked at the path YOU in my 9.1 uses, and the
> >"<arch>/updates/<version>/" is not there. YOU knows and expects to add
> >that part.
> >.
> >. (snip)
> >.
> >--
> >Cheers,
> > Carlos Robinson
>
> Carlos:
>
> I looked at the paths on ftp.suse.com and it looks like the only
> difference between the regular update folder and the discontinued folder is
> the addition of that "discontinued" folder in the path. I. e., --
>
> ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE/i386/update
>
> looks just like
>
> ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE/discontinued/i386/update
>
> with the exception that after update, there is no longer an 8.1 node on the
> non-discontinued path and it shows up in the discontinued path. So, under
> YOU under "choice of installation source", I tried chose "expert" and tried
> --
>
> *) For type of URL: -- FTP
> *) For Directory path, each of the following --
> discontinued
> discontinued/i386
> discontinued/i386/update
> discontinued/i386/update/8.1
> discontinued/i386/update/8.1/patches
>
> None worked, so that makes me think that maybe you just can't use YOU on
> the discontinued releases(?).

Sure you can.

Have a look at the file /var/adm/YaST/ProdDB/prod_00000001 (or whatever the
file is called that you have in the ProdDB directory) and look for the line
that starts with =YouPath:

Take the path you have on the ftp server, cut off what you see in YouPath, and
put the remaining bit in the Directory Path input in YOU.

I've even updated an old 7.x machine that way (albeit a SLES7)

If it still doesn't work, try looking in /var/log/YaST2/y2log for any
revealing error messages