RE: [SLE] Problem with YOU
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:59:15 -0900
On Wednesday, March 09, 2009 @ 2:54 PM, Anders Johansen wrote:
>On Thursday 10 March 2005 00:47, Greg Wallace wrote:

>> and

YOU

>> regular

>> >Are you sure? I looked at the path YOU in my 9.1 uses, and the
>> >"<arch>/updates/<version>/" is not there. YOU knows and expects to add
>> >that part.
>> >.
>> >. (snip)
>> >.
>> >--
>> >Cheers,
>> > Carlos Robinson
>>
>> Carlos:
>>
>> I looked at the paths on ftp.suse.com and it looks like the only
>> difference between the regular update folder and the discontinued folder
is
>> the addition of that "discontinued" folder in the path. I. e., --
>>
>> ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE/i386/update
>>
>> looks just like
>>
>> ftp.suse.com/pub/SuSE/discontinued/i386/update
>>
>> with the exception that after update, there is no longer an 8.1 node on
the
>> non-discontinued path and it shows up in the discontinued path. So,
under
>> YOU under "choice of installation source", I tried chose "expert" and
tried
>> --
>>
>> *) For type of URL: -- FTP
>> *) For Directory path, each of the following --
>> discontinued
>> discontinued/i386
>> discontinued/i386/update
>> discontinued/i386/update/8.1
>> discontinued/i386/update/8.1/patches
>>
>> None worked, so that makes me think that maybe you just can't use YOU on
>> the discontinued releases(?).

>Sure you can.

>Have a look at the file /var/adm/YaST/ProdDB/prod_00000001 (or whatever the

>file is called that you have in the ProdDB directory) and look for the line

>that starts with =YouPath:

>Take the path you have on the ftp server, cut off what you see in YouPath,
and
>put the remaining bit in the Directory Path input in YOU.

>I've even updated an old 7.x machine that way (albeit a SLES7)

>If it still doesn't work, try looking in /var/log/YaST2/y2log for any
>revealing error messages

BINGO!! That worked perfectly. I even got it on the first try. All I had
to do was add obsolete/ to the front of the path following =YouPath:. It
even worked on the first try! The file and it's directory location were
exactly as you stated above. So, at least I can recover all of the patches
I currently have if I have a major disk failure before I get to the task of
upgrading my system. Thanks a lot for the help!

Yours truly,
Greg Wallace