Re: [SLE] unsubscription
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:46:42 -0600
On Wednesday 09 March 2005 03:39 pm, Brad Bourn wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 01:39 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > rfc1855, Netiquette Guidelines.
>
> and in this doc it states that you must use bottom posted trim quoted
> reply's on suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx?

is to bottom post and trim quotes. No, it's not a rule, and you're free to
break it. You then look like an idiot. As someone said just a few days
ago, "When in Rome, do as Romans do". Most of the people on this list
behave according to decades-old nettiquite rules. Therefore, when here,
it's preferable to behave as everone else does - acting differently
(top-posting) will lose you more than it will gain. The only reason to do
so is if you're a stubborn moron. Feel free to be a stubborn moron, I
suppose, but don't be surprised if you're treated as a stubborn moron. :)
(presently, I'm leaning towards just "stubborn").

[...]
> In fact I see them more often than
> not answered by just as knowlegable top-posters,

This is an oxymoron. The knowledgable people follow the list conventions.

[...]
> It has been my experience both relying on the open-source community and
> contributing to it for my living for the past 5 years since i was brought
> to the light, that it is easier to navigate search results in google to
> find what your looking for when people top-post and full quote. you can
> usually find the whole conversation in one place.

So, when reading, you prefer to start at the end of the conversation and
read backwards? That is opposite of the convention used in much of the
Western world. Would you also prefer to read right to left? I've found
that, while making my living in the Open Source community for the last 10
years, it's easier to read bottom-quoted mesages on web archives. I've
been doing it for twice as long, so my opinion is twice as important. So
there. :)

Regardless, breaking conventions in order to accommodate poorly-designed
mail archives is just bad practice. There exist several quality mail
archive systems that display a full thread above or below the message being
read. I find that type of system combined with bottom-posted, trimmed
replies to be more useful, as sometimes more than one person contributes to
a thread, and therefore the whole thread will not be included in a single
message even with bandwidth-wasting full quotes and/or top-posting.

[...]
> Bottom line is that
> middle-posting and extensive trimming is the worst.

Contextual quoting and in-line replying is occasionally very useful. Such
as in this message (and your message to which I'm replying).

> takes up too much space/speed? give me a break! this is text!

Everyone in the world has 1.5Mb uncapped downloads and 2GHz machines with
22" monitors and 1.5GB RAM, so why optimize anything? Oh, wait, lots of
those "newbies" that are "so important" are also on modems, sometimes even
in places where they have to pay per-minute charges.

Oh, and the contraction for "you are" is "you're". "Your" means something
else. HTH,

--Danny, who doesn't understand why it's so difficult for some people to
just follow the damned convention - bitching isn't gonna change anything