Re: [SLE] unsubscription
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:53:34 -0500
On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 10:46, Brad Bourn wrote:

> When someone stands up to a stubborn moron, it will usually get them labeled
> as one.
>
> > > In fact I see them more often than
> > > not answered by just as knowlegable top-posters,
> >

> It would take a little more knowledge to get past "only people like me are
> knowledgable". You'll get there.
>
> > > It has been my experience both relying on the open-source community and
> > > contributing to it for my living for the past 5 years since i was brought
> > > to the light, that it is easier to navigate search results in google to
> > > find what your looking for when people top-post and full quote. you can
> > > usually find the whole conversation in one place.
> >
> > So, when reading, you prefer to start at the end of the conversation and
> > read backwards? That is opposite of the convention used in much of the
> > Western world. Would you also prefer to read right to left? I've found
> > that, while making my living in the Open Source community for the last 10
> > years, it's easier to read bottom-quoted mesages on web archives. I've
> > been doing it for twice as long, so my opinion is twice as important. So
> > there. :)
>
> Your not really saying anything here. But I love the humor!
^^^^

should be you're meaning - you are

> How does top posting and full quoting differ from trimmed middle/bottom
> quoting for reading from end to begining.
>
> When you trim, you trim the beginning. So there isn't one. You HAVE to start
> from the middle or end and go backwards, only now to other messages instead
> of the one your in.
^^^^

again should be you're

> > Regardless, breaking conventions in order to accommodate poorly-designed
> > mail archives is just bad practice. There exist several quality mail
> > archive systems that display a full thread above or below the message being
> > read. I find that type of system combined with bottom-posted, trimmed
> > replies to be more useful, as sometimes more than one person contributes to
> > a thread, and therefore the whole thread will not be included in a single
> > message even with bandwidth-wasting full quotes and/or top-posting.
> >

> So you prefer your style because of the system you use. So do I.
>
> I hate English! I'm the ferst to admit I ain't good at it!
>

> B-), who doesn't understand why it is so difficult for some people not go out
> of their way to bitch and allow people to contribute.

Contribute all you want, only we would like you to please adhere to what
has been the accepted practice on this list (for quite some time before
you joined by the way) -not- what you want to be the accepted practice.
This isn't Jeopardy where you give the answer first and the question
second. A little courtesy to -all- of the members of the list goes a
long way.