Re: [SLE] Stupid OT question
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:04:49 -0500
On Friday 11 March 2005 00:39, B. Stia wrote:
> Will a board POST without ram installed in it ??

I know it's a cliche', but the only stupid question is one that doesn't
get asked. One qualification before I continue: Every design is
different. You always have to refer back to the manufacturer's
documentation. With that said: Most boards will POST with either
nothing or just a keyboard installed. Built-in diagnostics ('beep
codes' and/or LEDs, etc.) will report the status of each subsystem
error or failure, but you'll need a translation table to interpret them
correctly. Sometimes these are available, sometimes they're not.

Obviously, without graphics or RAM the board isn't very useful, but the
ability to isolate the board and POST (self-diagnose) it is important:

a) during QA testing at the end of the assembly line
b) while troubleshooting in the field
c) pre-build assembly testing by endusers and integrators

regards,

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
----->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<-----