suse 92 strange ide problems
  • From: "Chiu, PCM (Peter)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:08:13 -0000

On a couple of PCs that I used to have RH 7 running,
I installed Suse 9.2 on a spare partition on each box.

No errors during the installation, but when the systems
restarted in level - 5, they both hang.

Having a bit of trials and errors, I then realised that
if I disable the dma using the boot option ide=nodma,
then the systems will come up and run okay.

I have also tried starting up the system in level-3,
and then use startx, but sometime later it will still
flag some hdx disk i/o errors.

I suppose this may have something to do with the BIOS, but
the system concerned does not have a newer firmware.

Am I stuck here with a slower os?

  • No further messages