Re: [SLE] Testing for a blank DVD
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:15:12 +0100
On Saturday 12 March 2005 00:31, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 18:09, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> > I've written a small shell script for doing backup that uses mkisofs and
> > cdrecord. I haven't been able to construct the script as a pipe because
> > cdrecord, it seems, needs to know the length of the track it's writing
> > (for a DVD, at least). So if there's no DVD in the drive, mkisofs will
> > spend some time creating an image and then cdrecord will bomb out.
> >
> > I'm looking for a command-line method of testing if a drive has a blank
> > DVD in it. I can check if the drive is mounted using a combination of
> > "mount" and "grep", but you can mount a drive even if there's no media in
> > it, and that method doesn't distinguish between a blank DVD in the drive
> > (good) and no DVD in the drive (bad). As far as I can tell, cdrecord
> > itself has no way of testing for the presence of a blank DVD without
> > actually attempting to write it.
> >
> > So does anyone know a command that I can put into a shell-script test to
> > see if the drive does or does not have a blank DVD?
> >
> > Paul
>
> A quick check of cdrecord --help shows a couple of options -atip is one
> for retrieving info from the disk. As I recall there is a way to
> retrieve the disk and manufacturer info from a blank. You could use that
> to test whether a disk is in the drive.

There is also "cdinfo" which is in the cdrecord package, which is bound to
have some grepable information. Or /usr/sbin/hwinfo --cdrom, which also seems
to output information about the inserted media

I don't have a recorder available here to say exactly what the output looks
like with a blank inserted, but the output from a regular data/movie dvd
looks very grepable

< Previous Next >