Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 Pro HANGS (SOLVED for now)
  • From: MindBender <ephlodur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:47:18 -0800 (PST)
Thanks all for your reply....Finaly I was able to get
my linux SuSE 9.2 back with the previous
configuration...
But I have to say after changing the RAM ..I was still
unable to repair the system Only with the YaST2
graphic interface... Initialy when I ran the automatic
repair YaST2 reported that it found some errors but
although YaST2 reported that the filesystem was fixed
..I still was not able to boot the system and I was
not able to repair the MBR as it was also corrupted in
my bad fortune (and I ran YaST2 many times trying to
fix the filesystem).and only when I ran the commaline
'fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-tree /dev/hd?' that the
filesystem was realy reprared and finaly YaST2 was
able to repair the MBR...

I only report this so other user don't stop trying
when YaST report -REPAIRED- while problem still exist.

Thanks for all the help.
> As Kevin Donnelly says, it's probably not necessary
> to reinstall.
> But I WOULD run an fsck.reiserfs over the disk
> partitions.
> You will need to know
> what partitions the disk has (fdisk -l /dev/hda)
> and what they are formatted as (/etc/fstab)
> If you're happy on the command line
> just boot a rescue system off any Suse CD1 and
> type:
>
> fsck.<filesystem type> /dev/<partition name>
> eg: fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda1
>
> or fsck.ext2 /dev/hda1 (if you have a separate boot
> partition)
> fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda3 ( for /)
>
> If this spots any problems you will need to run it
> with "--fix-fixable".
>

> If you want it automated and GUI
> the SuSE9.2 installer provides an excellent repair
> tool.
>
> Boot off the CD or DVD, and choose "Install" from
> the boot menu.
> Once it's up you choose your keyboard layout.
> In the next screen it will start
> to put up the screen to configure an install.
> But it will pop up a window to say it's found an
> installed system
> and offer the option of repairing it.
> Fully automatic is slow, in custom or expert
> you can choose the boxes you need.
>
> michael.james@xxxxxxxx
> System Administrator voice: 02
> 6246 5040
> CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility fax: 02
> 6246 5166

email : ephlodur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What we need is Awareness we can't get carelless.