System upgrade.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:06:16 -0500
Currently running 9,1 pro on my desktop. I have purchased almost every
version of SuSE linux since the fall of 1998. Now that I am disabled
money is tight and I am looking for a little info regarding the FTP
version.

I have downloaded the DVD iso and used it to install (fresh) 9.2 on my
laptop. Works well. Even downloaded the ftp dir, removed a few items and
burned the result to dvd and use it as a source of files.

I am looking for info on the possibility of upgrading my desktop to 9.2
without doing a fresh install. This would be after a backup of wanted
configs and files (just in case). Can I just add the ftp site as a
source, move it to the top of the list and do a system upgrade? I am
looking to lose as little as possible in already installed packages just
get them upgraded. Or am I looking at to many dependency problems.

Any thoughts, caveats etc.?

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*