Re: [SLE] System upgrade.
  • From: Richard <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:44:19 -0600
On Sunday 13 March 2005 07:11 pm, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > One problem I see (perhaps) is the system is running when you upgrade
> > it.  IIRC there are some things that had problems upgrading like that,
> > which caused some packages not to be upgraded, and Online update to
> > look for the wrong version.
>
> Ahh. Didn't think of that issue, it was presented in the past. I'll
> probably use the DVD-ftp I used to install on my laptop and hope I don't
> lose too much. At least I'll have my /home backup in case of problems.

I just tried something new, for me anyway. I have 9.1 installed so I went
into yast, put in the directories for 9.2 and kde, then simply told it to
upgrade the system. After a couple of hours it finished and a reboot
brought up 9.2 with all the old stuff still there. Runs fine. Only hitch
was having to make decisions about stuff that wouldnt be upgraded.

Sure is getting easier each time. I would recommend it to anyone including
newbies and the almost brain dead.

Richard

--
Old age ain't for Sissies!