Re: [SLE] I spoke too soon
  • From: Matt Gibson <gothick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:10:25 +0000
On Monday 14 Mar 2005 02:09 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Recently I started getting segfaults when compiling. My memory is
> > relatively new so I tried reseating it; the problem disappeared.
>
> Run a few passes of Memtest86 (<http://www.memtest86.com/>) to get some
> confidence that your memory is free from errors.

Hear hear! I recently bought two 512Mb memory sticks. I bought Kingston
first of all, and one of them turned out to be faulty (but I didn't figure
it out for a week because it was the second stick, and I didn't fill up
half a gig very often!) I had Corsair as a replacement, and and soon as it
arrived, I was paranoid enough to run memtest86 on it. That went back to
the seller the same day, because I came back to find several hundred errors
reported. The replacement I got for that, exactly the same Corsair, is
fine.

Either I was extremely unlucky, or memory's getting a lot less reliable these
days. And when the usual symptom that anyone gets is that their Windows
machine crashes, I wonder how many people are actually noticing?

"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."
-- Jeff Noon