Re: [SLE] routing / forwarding ergent help
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:15:36 -0500
On Monday 14 March 2005 02:20 am, Mohammad Fattahian wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my Suse 8.1 routing.
>
> I have a server with two network cards, one connected to LAN (
> 192.168.0.5) and the other is connected to ISP (192.168.3.150 , Gateway
> 192.168.3.1)
>
> I've done : ... echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> at this time I can route to internet from server , but when I set my
> client gateway's IP to 192.168.0.5 they could not connec to internet ,
> they cannot ping 192.168.3.1 also.
>
> iptable --list tell that every thing is accepted , (I have no firewall
> yet)
>
> any guide??
>
> thanks, mohammad

If you have turned on forwarding and you have no firewall. You are probably
forwarding to your ISP's network just fine. The problem is the ISP has no
reason to continue to forward your internal addresses. Your addresses may
even conflict with their own network scheme.

You would need to set up masquerading for this to work. Check out the Howtos
at the Linux Documentation Project.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/stronger-firewall-examples.html#RC.FIREWALL-2.4.X-STRONGER
would be a good start, but you should really read the whole IP-Masquerade
howto. While you're at the LDP site, check out the IP Sub-Networking
Mini-Howto for an explanation of why this did not work as you expected.

--
Louis Richards