Re: [SLE] NICs changing names by themselves?
  • From: Chadley Wilson <Chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:56:57 +0200
On Monday 14 March 2005 18:40, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Quoting Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Nope, sorry that I didn't make it clear. The config that has
> > PERSISTENT_NAME='eth0' is labelled eth1 and vice versa.
> >
> > Alas, just the opposite of what I want.
>
> RTFM - from section 22.3:
>
> * Persistent interface names can be assigned to all interfaces whose
> configurations do not bear the interface names. This can be done
> by means of entries PERSISTENT_NAME=<pname> names in an interface
> configuration (ifcfg-*). However, the persistent name pname should
> not be the same as the name that would automatically be assigned
> by the kernel. Therefore, eth*, tr*, wlan*, qeth*, iucv*, and so
> on are not permitted. Instead, use net* or descriptive names like
> external, internal, or dmz. A persistent name can only be assigned
> to an interface immediately after its registration, which means
> that the driver of the network card must be reloaded or
> hwup <device description> must be executed. The command
> rcnetwork restart is not sufficient for this purpose.
>
> You cannot use eth0 and eth1 for persistent names ;P
>
> Try net0 and net1.
>
> Jeffrey

Not my scene, but thats very sad, I have never experienced this. to put it
bluntly if it happened to me I would tear the YAST config apart and rebuild
it with init scripts.

However there must be a logical reason for it swopping, such as the time the
driver takes to load or the sequence in which the cards are detected, as some
one mentioned before you should be able to control it with /etc/modules.conf

Thats where I would start, use google for solutions and try a few. then if
that fails I would "can" YAST and do my own scripts to start it properly
named the way I want it -- ON BOOT.

Suse is still linux, you can still do it anyway you like :)

rgrds and Good Luck
Chad

< Previous Next >