Re: [SLE] Network File Systems
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:59:18 -0800
Peter,

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:34, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> Many thanks for all the responses.
>
> a. rsync. we use this tool as well, but experienced some discomfort
> with it in that, if we run a couple of rsync tasks on large transfers
> inparallel, they can grind our servers to a halt without too much
> difficulty.
>
> Any further access to the same file system involved in the rsync
> will certainly be very slow, and the overall system performance is
> severely degraded too.

You can (probably) use a traffic shaping tool to throttle rsync traffic.

I have no experience with it, but in general when the question of
traffic control and shaping comes up, someone will recommend
wondershaper. If you Google the SuSE lists for wondershaper, you'll get
lots of hits (Google "Wondershaper site:lists.suse.com"). If you Google
simply for "Wondershaper", the third hit you get is a tech note on the
Novell / SuSE site:
<http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/enterpriseserver/i386/wondershaper.html>.

Randall Schulz