Re: [SLE] Network File Systems
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:51:58 -0800
Leen,

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 07:41, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2005 15:59, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:34, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> > > Many thanks for all the responses.
> > >
> > > a. rsync. we use this tool as well, but experienced some
> > > discomfort with it in that, if we run a couple of rsync tasks on
> > > large transfers inparallel, they can grind our servers to a halt
> > > without too much difficulty.
> > >
> > > Any further access to the same file system involved in the
> > > rsync will certainly be very slow, and the overall system
> > > performance is severely degraded too.
> >
> > You can (probably) use a traffic shaping tool to throttle rsync
> > traffic.
>
> That reminds me vaguely of something.
>
> man rsync: yes indeed:
>
> --bwlimit=KBPS limit I/O bandwidth, KBytes per second

Dammit! I looked in the rsyncd.conf manual page for something like this
before replying, but I didn't think of looking in the rsync manual page
itself.

Of course, this requires system administrators to rely on their users to
limit their bandwidth consumption, which probably isn't the ideal
solution to Peter's problem.

> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Randall Schulz