Re: [SLE] updating software via YaST
  • From: Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:45:22 -0700
Ok, noooooo problem!

hehehehe

This is VERY generic and I haven't messed with either package, but here is
generally what happens. If your on a 32-bit machine, all the better.

first thing (don't be scared!) get the tar.gz of the SOURCE for both packages.

extract the source
tar zxvf program.tar.gz

then you should see a dir program-1.2.3 or similar
go into that directory and look for a file called INSTALL first, or README
second.

they should tell you literally what to do, most likely it will be

run configure (this will check that you have what is needed to compile and
install the software)
It will mostly likely error out and tell you you need this or that. Install
what it needs from Yast. You might even need to install some gnu make stuff
to get this far.

Once you can get configure to work, it will tell you (it = configure) what you
need to do to build and install. most likely will be

make (build)

then

make install (copy files to userland and setup environment)

Once you do these a few times, it will become allot less confusing.

Wait till you get to a 64-bit SuSE machine and try to install something from
source that never new about 64-bit environments before...... (fun, fun)

Hope this helps

B-)

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 04:34 pm, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> That is what I'd love to do. Where do I start?

< Previous Next >