RE: [SLE] Migration from Centos 3.3 to SuSE 9.1 Prof
  • From: "Chris" <meliore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:09:14 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaitanya Krishna A [mailto:icymist82@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 17 March 2005 5:10 AM
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [SLE] Migration from Centos 3.3 to SuSE 9.1 Prof

hi all,

i'm planning to migrate to SuSE 9.1 from Centos 3.3
which is runnig on my system right now.

let me tell u at the start that i'm completely new to
linux.

i would like to know, if i can directly put the SuSE
cd's into the drive and start installing. the system
is relatively new, and doesn't have much data on it.
so i don't stand to lose anything if SuSE completely
overwrites everything. the hard disk has already been
partitioned, would this create any problems. would i
be required to repartition the hard disk again. kindly
let me know if i need to take any precautions before
starting the installation.

thanks for any help.

bye.
chaitanya.

Hi.
If you have no info your not concerned about losing a full new install is
the best. If your hardware is fairly recent and not bleeding edge and you
have a NVIDIA graphics card not to many problems should ensue. Follow the
prompts. If you have a fast internet connection do the updates it suggests
(no kernel ones though) as it suggests them. It may even auto configure your
internet on the way. Once installed run YOU and update the kernel then (not
before)
Chris