Installation of additional software in Suse
  • From: Chaitanya Krishna A <icymist82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:12:19 -0800 (PST)
hi all,

thanks for the help on the migration from centos to
suse.

i am research student, so i frequently need to install
software related to my work from the sources (the
usual thing of making and compiling).

as i'm new to suse, i want to know how easy it is
build from sources and install software with suse. it
would be nice if anyone would clarify on these points.
i am planning to use suse 9.1 professional version on
my machine.

1. is it possible to install additional software which
comes as source and not as rpms?

2. can yast be useful in the above respect?

3. as far as i know, yast normally updates the
softwares based on the updates provided by suse. in
case the software that i need is not provided by suse,
then what do i do?

thanks for any help
bye.
chaitanya.