Re: [SLE] PC Crash: Hard Disk Problems
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:08:07 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2005-03-18 at 16:41 -0600, Stan Glasoe wrote:

> On Friday 18 March 2005 5:03 am, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I will admit that I used to take PC's apart all the time without a
> > static band. But they weren't mine, they belonged to the Uni I worked
> > at. Now, I always put one on when I'm working on my own or friends
> > PC's. I also leave the PC plugged in. Switched off of course :-)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Kevan Farmer
>
> NEVER leave the system plugged in to power. Too many newer systems have
> Wake-On-LAN or Wake-On-Ring functions with current flowing through the
> system mainboard and add-in cards. You stand a real chance of damaging the
> system from AC power this way. AC ground is not the same as grounding
> yourself to dissipate static electricity. Don't confuse the two, please.

I suppose he is referring to leaving the AC cable connected, and the power
switch off. I assume that switch is the real, AC, switch, in the power
supply box, not the nice button on the front of the PC, that leaves some
parts powered.

This way the AC is off, but the ground wire remains connected. Of course,
having a separate ground with a 1 Meg resistor would be much better. Safer.

> Unplug it from the power source and ground yourself and parts to the
> machine. Its equalizing the static potential that is key. Dissipating
> static through proper static mats/stations would be even better but that is
> still equalizing the static charge to all surfaces and components, static
> bags, etc.

A proper grounding bracelet has a resistor of around 1 meg to limit shock
in case of inadvertently touching a live cable. If you are instead well
grounded the shock can be lethal.

> Also, compressed air or vacuum cleaners can generate tremendous amounts of
> static electricity depending on the materials they are made of. Standard
> plastic vacuum parts are VERY bad for electronic components whether blowing
> or sucking dust and debris out of a system because they tend to generate
> static electricity and it IS going to dissipate somewhere. With my luck I
> don't even THINK about doing this...

True. But a component connected to its PCB, if it is well designed, should
be safe. The idea is that high impedance inputs are connected to low
impedance outputs somewhere else, so static can not build up. In theory,
that is.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson