Re: [SLE] Setting Windows and Suse partition
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:09:26 -0500
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 22:42, B. Stia wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 15:00, Scorpy wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am planning to have dual partition on my PC.
> > Can someone write me instructions how to set up windows and suse 9.2
> > from the cratch. What do I have to set up first, which partitions to
> > create and how big nad type of partitions, which OS to install first
> > and so on...
>
> Hello Scorpy,
>
> Since nobody else has replied, it has been left to the more lowly types
> who frequent this list. I take so much and learn so much from these
> guru types it is time for me to give something back.
>
> First of all we need lots more information about your setup before we
> can give you any meaningful advice. Are you using one or two hard
> drives? If only one, how big is it?

This is a good question about the single drive, but it begs the
question of how much room he needs for linux. I have found, having
setup several Linux\Windows systems that a second hard drive is often
a headache saver.

> If it is one big drive you will at minimum, need to partition the drive
> for both os's.

Not necessarily. You can shrink the size of windows partitions during
your Linux install.

> In any case, always install Windows first otherwise it

Agreed.

> will overwrite the bootloader for Linux and you will need to go back
> and fix it. Once Windows is installed you can then partition the Linux
> partition further by using the SuSE built in tool at installation.
> (Yast) You should at minimum make a /home partition on the SuSE side.

Minimum is going to be the root '/' partition and the swap partition.

> Give us more information and we can make suggestions for you.
>
> Bob S.

Good on you, Bob.

Mike