Re: [SLE] Video mode problem, can't get into Yast (Dell laptop)
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:01:40 -0500
On Saturday 19 March 2005 1:27 pm, Carl E. Hartung wrote:

> First, boot to run level 3 (no X.) I do this by just hitting the number "3"
key in grub before booting into SuSE.

> Then log in as root and run "yast" to launch YaST2 in ncurses (text-based)
mode.

OK, that did it. Now I'm at the next problem (groan).

I can now get a legible screen. The problem with it is that it has a visual
effect that I can best describe as a darker horizontal region that moves down
the screen several times a second. I've been trying to find a monitor
setting that eliminate that effect, with no success. The one that logically
should do it -- Dell laptop @1024 -- does not do it. I've also tried the LCD
monitor settings, and they are no better.

A complication in dealing with this is that as far as I can determine Dell
provides no specs on its screen.

Paul

< Previous Next >