Re: [SLE] Video mode problem, can't get into Yast (Dell laptop)
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:13:07 -0500
On Saturday 19 March 2005 02:01 pm, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
<snip>
> A complication in dealing with this is that as far as I can determine Dell
> provides no specs on its screen.

Did you provide a model number for that laptop already? Sorry, but I trashed your original post after replying. A manufacturing date and/or S/N would be helpful, too. I'm sure the specs you need are out there, you just have to know how to dig them up.

Also, I wouldn't drive that display too long with the effect you're describing. It's more likely they're due to an inherent incompatibility between the display and the signals being sent to it than any kind of harmonic interference. This is especially true if it doesn't go away when you change modes.

I'd attach an external (analog) VGA monitor until we can determine you've defined the graphics adapter correctly. Fiddling around with the display settings doesn't do much good if you're not using the right driver and/or settings for the graphics chip, itself.

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
----->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<-----