Re: [SLE] Video mode problem, can't get into Yast (Dell laptop)
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:07:39 -0800
Paul & Paul,

On Sunday 20 March 2005 04:51, Paul Hewlett wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2005 21:46, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> > >
> > >key in grub before booting into SuSE.

> > >mode.
> > >
> > >OK, that did it. Now I'm at the next problem (groan).
> > >
> > >I can now get a legible screen. The problem with it is that it
> > > has a visual effect that I can best describe as a darker
> > > horizontal region that moves down the screen several times a
> > > second. I've been trying to find a monitor setting that
> > > eliminate that effect, with no success. The one that logically
> > > should do it -- Dell laptop @1024 -- does not do it. I've also
> > > tried the LCD monitor settings, and they are no better.
>
> I have seen that effect when 2 monitors are physically close
> together. Is your laptop next to your desktop PC monitor ?

Quite likely you're right, judging from the description of the symptom.
It comes from the magnetic fields of the vertical sweeps. The rate of
ripples comes from the difference between their vertical sweep
frequency and is just like a beat between to close but not identical
musical notes.

In those rare instances in the past when I've been able to work with a
multi-monitor setup, I've found that orienting the screens at a
relative angle--as close to 90 degrees as feasible--cuts down on the
interference between the two monitors considerably.

However, this phenomenon only occur between two CRTs, not between a CRT
and an LCD. If there's only one CRT, then the interfering magnetic
fields must be coming from something else. One possibility is a
transformer, but it's unlikely it's a power supply, since that would
represent a very poorly designed transformer that's wasting a lot of
engergy by failing to contain the magnetic fields within its core.

Paul A., what other electrical equipment is in the area of the monitor
exhibiting those symptoms?

> PaulH

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >