Re: [SLE] Start button - KDE Start applications menu
  • From: William Wolfe <w_j_wolfe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:51:18 +0000 (GMT)
Hi ,

Thanks for the suggestions + help.

It's good to know the key sequence Alt-F1 will always
be there (on default settings), a bit like
<ctrl>+<esc> for Windows. Its got that familar feeling
to it.

I found lots of good options to control this system
behaviour in the
Control Center > Regions & Accessibility > Keyboard
shortcuts

You can select from the pre-defined shortcut profiles
set up for MAC and Unix keyboards, enabling familiar
shortcuts catering to all backgrounds. There are also
profiles for Windows keyboard shortcuts for keyboards
With + Without a Start buton.

And you have the flexibility to create you own
shortcuts. You can add to a profile, or create your
own.

I found that it is not possible to use the Start
button
alone. It is only possilbe to use it in combination
with one or more other keystrokes. That will throw a
curve ball to lots of Windows converts. But I'm sure
the adaptable ones will cope.

It concerns me a little when I see my kids going
through school and learning about computers and
internet and believing that the only way is with MS
Windows. Religion doesn't get a monopoly like this.

I hope that at the teenage phase I will see some more
rebellion, and more taking the initiative to find
alternatives.

regards, W.