Re: [SLE] Hardisksize
  • From: Erik Jakobsen <eja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:06:02 +0100
Mike McMullin wrote:
On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 01:17, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
Mike McMullin wrote:

{snippage}

Short answer is yes. Things to consider are: boot loader
configuration, fstab settings, having a /home directory in each
install. I assume you are using one swap partition.

Snip
If I've got this right you have 9.2 on hda1 swap on hda2 and 9.1 on
hda3. Assuming that you're giving all of your 9.1 space over to 9.2,and
that it's also reiser, you need to add a section to 9.2's fstab mounting
it. I'm saying also reiser, but it doesn't have to be, what ever system
you've got it formatted under is fine, you want the space. So what room
are you running out of? Obviously the big space killer could be the
/home directories. I have this on it's own partition so if I upgrade I
won't have to lose my data, and if I run out of space, I can put in a
larger disk, copy the /home over (fixing the ownerships!!!!!) and keep
using disk space.

Yes you are quite right about where the 9.2 swap and the 9.1 resides.
I use reiser for both OS's. I'm running out of the hda1 partition. Here it's also
the /home that can use much more space.

Assuming that you'll turn hda3 over to /home, you'll want to manually
mount it, I suggest under either /media or /mnt, see man mount for
details on how to. Konqi on over to the partition , you'll more than
likely want to do a kdesu konqueror, and remove any and all files
(directories are files) copy the directories under your /home over to
the new space, and to a safe place on hda1, archive them if you need
to. If something goes south we'll have trashed your /home permanently.

I will turn over hda3 to /home. Then its just to mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/home for
instance. I have copied both the /home and /etc to a DVD-RW this morning, so that
should be safe :-)

Here's my fstab entry for my /home partition:
/dev/hdc2 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
and here's the one just above it for my / partition
/dev/hdc3 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1

Ok.

The disk logic looks like this: hdc3 contains /home as a mount point for
/hdc2 which contains any user data in their respective home/username
directory. You'll want to right click (in konqi) on the new directories
and opt for the properties tab, and fix the ownership section to read
the correct user name and group of "users", apply changes to all
subfolders and their contents. When I did this under 9.1 the .files
didn't change and I had to open a root console and (man) chown
Mike:users on the.files in each directory, the .directories too I think.

Ok about Your setup there. And fine about the right click in konqi filemanager.
It too can be done with mc (Midnight Commander).

If it tanks, you can of course edit your fstab to delete the mounting of
the other partition for your /home, and (man) su to (man) umount the
/home partition, and then extract the archived /home back into place. You may need to fix ownerships on the files, but your data should be
safe.

Ok Mike. I'll let the job rest for some days, as I'm not too well. My throat is not
so good. Think I've catched a flue. Then I'll be back again-
And remember, it never, ever hurts to have backups. :)

I can confirm, that it didn't hurt at all to make the backup on the DVD-RW :-)

Erik

< Previous Next >