Re: [SLE] SUSE future
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:39:26 -0500
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:20:14AM +0100, Fred wrote:
> Le Mardi 22 Mars 2005 07:31, Allen a écrit :
> > I use SUSE every day, and I am not afraid to defend it against people who
> > think it's a wuss distro because it has a GUI tool set / application like
> > YAST2.... To me it seems YAST2 is the absolute best admin tool ever made
> > for ANY OS.
> errr... it's definitely the slower admin tool that exist for installing new RPMs !
> What's the point of rewriting all the system config even if the package doesn't influence
> some parts of the system config ?

To be able to have the entire system at your control in ONE application? I
think I'll take the waiting for it to finish writing the whole system
config.

> Let's say you like D4X and want to install it.
> Open Konqueror with this link :
> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/SuSE-Linux/i386/9.2/suse/i586/d4x-2.5.0-2.1.i586.rpm
>
> click on install with Yast
>
> 1- Yast starts (30seconds)
> 2- D4X is installed (20 seconds)
> 3- Yast update ALL the system configuration (Apache, X, Sound, etc) (30 seconds)
>
> Total : 80 seconds to install for a small RPM package of 2,53Mo !
>
> And it's getting worse if you have several RPM to install, system config will >e updated each time :-(

I don't want to have to search around for it. That was my point of this
post, to get something into YAST2 that lets me just search for it in YAST2,
download it and install it without dependency hell.

http://www.eterm.org

Go there and download the RPMs and make THAT work fast. Not so fast huh?
With my application, you'd type Eterm in the search and it would install
it for you.

Mainly I just want something that could rival Free BSD's pkg_add -r tool.
Anyone who has used that knows it is great.

> Ok, don't tell me "use apt" ! I want my grand mother to use Yast to manage her RPMs so she's not gonna
> learn apt command lines

I think I pointed out that it could be an add on package not in the default
install..... You know, like gaim.

> (snipp)
> > On Free BSD I can type pkgadd -r naim
> >
> or "urpmi" on Mandrake