Re: [SLE] PC Crash: Hard Disk Problems
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:09:51 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-03-22 at 10:57 -0000, Kevanf1 wrote:

> Of course, our 220V is more
> > dangerous than your 110 (for electrocution, perhaps less for fire),
>
> Hmmm, forgive me if I'm wrong here - and you guys certainly seem to be
> far more clued up where electrics are concerned but I have always
> thought it had nothing to do with the actual voltage but more to do
> with ampage? So if something was a million volts but only 1 milliamp
> it would not harm you? Or am I totally off track here?

It is, of course, current that kills you. However, to make enough current
flow through a body, you need enough voltage to overcome its resistance.

Thus, a 12V car battery is safe. But, if your fingers are wet with the
acid, and each hand touches each of the two poles, you will most
probably feel the current; and if you are unlucky enough that its path
crosses your heart, you may die because of fibrillation: the heart
fibers looses sync, I understand.

So, yes, 1 milliamp on the proper place can kill you right there. And much
more might give you a mighty burn and you survive: depends on the path the
current takes and what organs it affects. One of the most dangerous is one
leg and opposite hand: perhaps left hand and right leg, I think.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >