gpg-agent & kmail 1.8
  • From: Christopher Shanahan <cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:54:33 -0500
Hello all.

Just upgraded my SUSE 9.2 Pro system from kde-3.3 to 3.4. I use kmail for all
my e-mail needs with integrated gpg for signing mail. I've never had any
problems with gpg in the past. gpg-agent was set to start when I started my
system and it would prompt me for my passphrase when I sent e-mail. However,
now when I start my machine I get an error message about gpg-agent not
running. Regardless of what I do, I cannot get gpg-agent to run correctly.
And, when I send e-mail I get the following error message:

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user:
(my key ID displayed here) Christopher Shanahan (N/A)

This dialog will reappear every time the passphrase is needed. For a
more secure solution that also allows caching the passphrase, use
gpg-agent.
gpg-agent was found in /usr/bin/gpg-agent, but does not appear to
be running.
For information on how to set up gpg-agent, see
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html

I'm familiar with this howto and I just went through it again to make sure I
didn't inadvertently break something. kmail seems to be setup correctly but I
still cannot get my system to recognize gpg-agent as running.

I used the following command, from the kmail-pgpmime-howto, to check gpg and
it executed/finished without errors.
cms@dl320:~/.gnupg> echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0xA76872B8 | gpg

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Christopher M. Shanahan (N/A) <cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID A76872B8, created 2004-12-13

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Christopher M. Shanahan (N/A) <cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 9D972D71, created 2004-12-13 (main key ID A76872B8)

gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 9D972D71, created 2004-12-13
"Christopher M. Shanahan (N/A) <cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
test
gpg: Signature made Tue 22 Mar 2005 09:29:46 AM EST using DSA key ID
A76872B8
gpg: Good signature from "Christopher M. Shanahan (N/A)
<cshanahan@xxxxxxxxxxx>"

Any ideas? I'm still reading but I thought I'd ask here, to speed things up.

As always, TIA.

Christopher Shanahan