Re: [SLE] place for final commands -- nfs mounts
  • From: James Parra <jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:57:20 -0800

Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Wednesday 2005-03-23 at 17:19 -0800, James D. Parra wrote:

Noticed that nfs mount is running before the network is up and I am getting
a "Network is unreachable" error when importing the Net File System during
boot-up.

Under /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ if I were to change S02nfs to S11nfs, since the
network startup script is called S10network, would nfs start after the
network is up?

That's not the way to do it in SuSE, because Yast will revert your change at first opportunity. Rad "man init.d" and the SuSE boot concept chapter in the admin book. Use chkconfig to install/remove services.

By the way, I have the order reverted to yours (SuSE 9.1):

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S05network /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S10nfs

By the way, checking previous mails on this thread (which you mail program breaks) "Joe Morris (NTM)" told you something last "Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:25:03 -0600" that you should check, because I think it is related to your problem now:

Look at the Required-Start line in the scripts. The loop means
inconsistency, one saying it needs something before it another after,
basically a catch 22 situation. Have you changed any Required-Start
lines in any scripts, since it may not be named or nfs but one of their
"requirements".

Thanks, Carlos.

Never changed any of the Required-Start lines. Actually, I have four identical servers and all them were booting correctly until yesterday when one of the four stopped importing the nfs during boot up.

I ran yast and disabled and re-enabled nfs and the rc3 files are now named identical to yours.

Thanks again.

By the way, I know my mail program sucks... its outlook. Very annoying behavior. Used Thunderbird to reply to this message.

James