Re: [SLE] Gentoo (was: What is the proper way to optimize compilations?)
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:36:52 -0600
On Thursday 24 March 2005 02:25 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> How would gentoo run on an old Pentium-1 at 133 MHz with only 32Mb? Would
> it be possible?

Possible? Yes. It'll take a long time unless you have another machine
running distcc onto which you can offload the comping, though. As long as
you're running the same major version of gcc on said machine, it doesn't
have to be a Gentoo machine. Linking all happens locally, so gcc is the
only thing you have to worry about. You would probably want to do a "stage
2" install there, so there's less opportunity to mess something up that'll
take forever to do over. :)

Otherwise, I'd expect Gentoo to run comparably to any other distro that
leans toward making you pick most every package that's installed. The only
P1-class machines that I'm actively using are running Slackware - largely
because of the low package management overhead, smaller packageset, and
fewer "layers of abstraction". I'm considering switching them over to
Gentoo in order to make updates easier, though, if that answers your
question.

--Danny, whose car mp3 player was originally running a very stripped down
SuSE.