Re: [SLE] Gentoo
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:50:23 -0600
On Thursday 24 March 2005 10:03 am, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Installing gentoo I didn't have the feel of building anything myself,
> emerge takes care of it all. There are a few commands I had to get used
> to, emerge and etc-update mainly.

That's the most amusing part about some of the users. They get some kind of
superior feeling, or claim to really know what's going on because their
system "built from source" - but it's really no more 'leet than typing "rpm
-ih package" for all the packages that are desired - it just takes longer.
Emerge is a really neat tool - exactly *because* it takes away most of the
difficulty in building stuff from source. I've built complete systems from
just the tarballs (but have never use LFS), and it's quite a bit more
involved than typing "emerge system". :)

--Danny, noting that some of those base utilities are a real pain to locate
source for

< Previous Next >