Re: [SLE] OT: Email bounce messages
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:30:33 -0600

Roger Beever wrote:

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 08:02 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

What is even worse is the fact that we are receiving these bounce messages at all. The return path on all messages in this list is of the form suse-linux-e-return-<msgID>-<subscriber email>@suse.com and that is where these bounce messages should be getting sent, not to the originator and/or the reply address.

But as discussed on this list before a normal reply does not go to the
list but to the sender. Auto systems won't be clever enough to do a
"reply to list".

The bounce should not be to the actual mailing list. If there is a "return path" in the header, that is where the message is supposed to be bounced. All mail sent out by the list server contains a return path, which you will note from my message is not the same as the mailing list address. Otherwise, a bounced message goes to the reply-to address, or the sender, in that order of preference.

< Previous Next >