Re: [SLE] 9.2 - Mic does not record properly - RPM problem ?
  • From: Matt Gibson <gothick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:26:34 +0000
On Friday 25 Mar 2005 17:47 pm, Dumb Waiter wrote:
> While I can hear myself in the headphones just fine, loud
> and clear, a recording ends up useless "whisper".
>
> Have played with various mic settings, mic boost is on, have
> played with etc/asound.state settings based on an usenet msg,

Are there any jumpers on the sound card?

Not all microphones are necessarily compatible with all soundcards. Most PC
microphones are of the electret condenser kind which requires power to be
sent to the microphone. Some soundcards have a jumper you have to set to
send power to the mike, because they're designed to work with either
electret or standard dynamic microphones, and are changed in hardware rather
than software.

Certainly the symptoms you describe would happen if you were either (a) using
an electret microphone without power, or (b) using a dynamic microphone on a
soundcard which expected an electret mike.

First thing I'd do is borrow a couple of microphones from friends and see if
you get any better results -- it may be that you're bashing your head
against a wall by playing around with the software.

Cheers,

Matt

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."