Re: [SLE] Adaptec 2120 problems
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:18:24 -0500
On Saturday 26 March 2005 04:31 am, Anders Norrbring wrote:
<snip>
> I don't know.. Termination seems to be "odd" in this case since it's an old
> Compaq Proliant rack case with original hard disks in it. They're not known
> to be problematic. Even if they're old and slow.. :)
>
> Also, when I go to the controller's disk utility to verify media and
> low-level format the drives they're reported as 8.4GB, which is correct.
> But when I go to "Create Array", they're shown as 4GB disks. I'm really
> confused. The other drives in the rack are 18.2GB drives and they're
> reported correctly all the way.

Hi Anders!

When I was in the RISC/*nix SCSI storage products market, it wasn't uncommon
for our customers to get "bit" on occassion by subtle variations in firmware,
meaning the OEM had "optimized" the device or controller (sometimes both)
that they were selling. Other common problem areas:

- mixing single-ended and differentially driven devices (forgetting to set
jumpers, when available.)

- using passive terminators when active were required and active when forced
were required

- incompatible, marginal and even new defective cables

- inadvertent double-terminations (using a terminator on a last device
jumpered to auto-sense and self-terminate)

- mixing wide (16 bit) devices with narrow (8 bit) devices and controllers

Just thought I'd share these observations with you in hopes they might help
you develop a new avenue of inquiry.

regards,

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
----->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<-----