Re: [SLE] kmail & kwallet
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:03:37 -0800
Bob,

On Saturday 26 March 2005 23:02, B. Stia wrote:
> Hellos SuSE people,
>
> Recently upgrade to KDE3.4 on SuSE 9.2 Have this very aggravating
> problem with Kwallet which demands that I supply passwords for all of
> my email accounts (4) and other things. Now, my ISP doesn't require
> it at every login, so why should Kmail /Kwallet ? (Shades of
> Microsoft) (Who needs this crap - that is why I quit Windows)
>
> Disabled Kwallet but every time Kmail starts it demands the
> passwords. I can go in and configure Kmail with the correct passwords
> and it will behave properly, but the next time I start Kmail it
> "forgets" my password configuration and demands the individual
> passwords again. Really getting tired of this BS !! Really don't
> need automated stuff "looking after me". How do I make Kmail forget
> about this stupid Kwallet thing that 99% of us don't want or need ???

The same thing happened to me and it really bugged me, too.

Here's what I did to get that wallet stuff out of my face and to allow
KMail to run unattended:

- Launch the wallet manager application. As far as I know, it's nowhere
to be found in the K menus, so you have to enter it into a shell or use
ALT-F2 and type "kwalletmanager".

- In the "Wallet Preferences" tab:
-- Settings -> Configure Configure Wallet...
-- Disable (uncheck) all the Close options
-- Disable "Show manager in system tray" (optional)

- In the "Access Control" tab:
-- Disable "Prompt when an application accesses an open wallet"

Also, in the "Access Control" tab, the outline view shows the Policy
"Always allow" under KConfigEditor for the application "kmail".

Sadly, I just had to get to this by trial and error and to be honest, I
don't know exactly what all this stuff means, exactly. Just that KMail
is hounding me about not storing the passwords in its configuration
file and that the wallet manager is not repeatedly asking me for a
master password.

> Bob S.

Randall Schulz