adsl modem check
  • From: Wybo Dekker <wybo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:24:31 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

When I installed my ADSL modem (SpeedTouch 510i) I found somewhere that I
could test my security as well as the reachability of my local website
with stuff ("ShieldsUp!!") at http://www.grc.com.

Later on, when people told me that my site was unreachable, I found that I
might test for that in a cronjob with:

wget -O - https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=80 2>/dev/null \
|grep OPEN >/dev/null ||xmessage "Poort 80 unreachable"

Now it appears, that this action actually *makes* my site unreachable, by
turning the state of my NAPT-address at port 80 from LISTEN to CLOSE.

So I now have two questions:
1. Can anybody explain this to me and
2. Should I fear that the reachability of my machine can be influenced by
other people?

--
Wybo