Re: [SLE] Gentoo (was: What is the proper way to optimize compilations?)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:22:36 +0200 (CEST)

The Thursday 2005-03-24 at 21:36 -0600, Danny Sauer wrote:

> On Thursday 24 March 2005 02:25 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > How would gentoo run on an old Pentium-1 at 133 MHz with only 32Mb? Would
> > it be possible?
>
> Possible? Yes. It'll take a long time unless you have another machine
> running distcc onto which you can offload the comping, though. As long as
> you're running the same major version of gcc on said machine, it doesn't
> have to be a Gentoo machine. Linking all happens locally, so gcc is the
> only thing you have to worry about. You would probably want to do a "stage
> 2" install there, so there's less opportunity to mess something up that'll
> take forever to do over. :)

Yes, it is a slow machine. Interesting thought, offloading gcc somewhere
else. I could perhaps use my P-IV machine for that, with suse 9.1. But any
way, the test will have to wait till I get a "decent" internet connection.

> Otherwise, I'd expect Gentoo to run comparably to any other distro that
> leans toward making you pick most every package that's installed. The only
> P1-class machines that I'm actively using are running Slackware - largely
> because of the low package management overhead, smaller packageset, and
> fewer "layers of abstraction". I'm considering switching them over to
> Gentoo in order to make updates easier, though, if that answers your
> question.

Yes. I'd prefer to stay with SuSE, but suse does not maintain old versions
of the distro, and old machines with low memory can not handle current
versions (of suse), they are too heavy. So I have to look at someother
thing. I use it mostly as modem-router-firewall nowdays, but sometimes
also for email and things, when the main computer is somewhere else.

> --Danny, whose car mp3 player was originally running a very stripped down
> SuSE.

Well, it should be :-)

Did you do it yourself, or did you bought it ready to play?

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson